Simon Avey


Simon Avey spent almost 4 weeks in the hospital. Click HERE for a recap of the beginning of this journey. Then skim over the rest of the posts and see how God has blessed Simon. This blog is for family and friends who have been praying faithfully for Simon.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

MRI News

I (Dean) made it down here to Indy last night. I found out that Simon was becoming more responsive and I needed to get a chance to see and talk to him myself. Fortunately Summer was able to watch Lost from the room while I was on my way down.

Last night was incredible. It was the first time I got to see Simons eyes since Thursday night when all this started. He was looking at Summer and I for a full 15 minutes. We gave him a nook and he started sucking away at it which is a good sign. After a while he got tired and went back to sleep.

It’s amazing to be looking into the eyes of my son who, on Thursday night, I wasn’t sure if I would ever see alive again. Sometimes you aren’t sure if God will answer your prayers, but my only prayer on Thursday night was for God to keep my son alive. He answered my prayers and the prayers of so many others.

This morning they did another EEG and his brain activity is looking more normal. They didn’t see any seizures and other things looked more consistent. They think this is because he is being weaned off the sedatives.

We got a chance to then talk to the neurology team this morning. They explained to us that they found a little blood mixed in with the spinal fluid in some of the spaces in his brain. It wasn’t a lot but they said blood is an irritant to the brain and can cause seizures. This can more than likely originate from the trauma Thursday night. Usually the blood is absorbed and goes away but they will continue to monitor it. The good part is that the rest of the scan looks normal. No damage to the brain, no bleeding, and nothing that leads them to believe that his mental capacity will be limited in any way.

Yesterday they took him off the ventilator and put him on a nasal cannula. The cannula did not provide enough oxygen for him and he was working too hard to breathe so they upgraded him to a CPAP which is more forceful. He was on that all last night and this morning they moved him back onto the cannula in hopes that his oxygen and CO2 levels will remain steady.

Thank you all for your prayers and support,
Dean Avey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home